Complaints Procedure

Open communication. I am open to feedback and suggestions about how I can make improvements, so feel free to talk to me. You can give me feedback in many ways such as chatting, arranging meetings in private, discussing and agreeing your child’s personal plans, e-mail, and text messages for example.

If you have any complaints about my service you can speak to me personally to raise any concerns, or you have the right to make a formal complaint directly to Social Care Social Work Improvement Scotland (SCSWIS) Care Inspectorate.

You can put a complaint in writing to:

Care Inspectorate
Compass House
11 Riverside Drive

Or by telephone: 0845 600 9527

To fill out a complaints form online visit: